Monday, July 5, 2010

July 4 weekend

here's to the Amish, the original eco-friendly Americans
when green was already their black.
(ok, I took that phrase somewhat from an Amish-furniture poster)

listening to Seals & Crofts best hits on a record
I went canoeing today
several hours, with my parents
and the T
and the strangest thing happened
(that doesn't surprise me still!)
but the fish
we almost thought they were tadpoles, so grey and tiny
swam up to my body that I rooted into the sand
that suctioned into my skin and kept me still
I was sitting back in 2 ft waters
and the school of fish swam around me unafraid
curious
they then came closer and closer and
started pecking me...tasting me
picking at the air bubbles --
I don't know.
My chin was submerged, I was smiling at my new school of friends
and I was calm as more came to me
thinking I was a ginormous piece of food, maybe
or just curious of friendly.
Or picking parasites off of me.
I wish I could have stayed longer, but I think I gave them their pickin' fix
from a new species they're not used to swimmin' with.

Free time - Freizeit; Qué hacer en este momento
I should nap/shower/paint
learn German/do work (start a program, plan an event, research, endless possibilities for that)
Productive weekend: I fixed my whole room up and planted a garden. Thanks mom & dad for all the 3-inch tomatoes.
I saw lots of horse-drawn buggies in Amish-towns
ate dinner with my freshman roommate in Sullivan, IL
at the nicest restaurant in town, and Doug Wilson from TLC picked up my fallen cardigan
Ate at the Amish restaurant Yoder's
brought back plenty of cheese, fudge, and the best sweet PB&J
Saw great fireworks shows, twice
(many illegal & of private stash!)
swam in the biggest lake in central IL -- Lake Shelbyville
and went down 8 miles of river in one my favorite day-trips
for a very memorable 4th of July weekend in Central Illinois.

Oh, and they met Lincoln, my white adventurfür.

No comments: