Saturday, August 25, 2018

Ubuntu and my former professor



"Ubuntu is an ecological strategy for survival," he says, from an ecological and societally introspective talk recorded years ago being now played on *Radio Party* on WEFT Community Radio 90.1 one Saturday afternoon.

Always organized under constant renewal... Malcolm X suggested not to become fossilized, not to become cynical... "And that continues to inform my ideas that the human spirit maybe under the circumstances of pain and suffering (like blues music) during these dystopian times, the best of the human sensibilities and ideas emerge."
Host: "Why is it important to have fun?"

My NRES 104 professor, years later, on the radio: "...to celebrate the joy of being with other people. The conversations get dark, and the music brings you back. I'm down with that entirely. There's nothing like music, for sure. The arts man, for sure."

For surrrrrre, man.

That man was the one who affirmed my path in determining my major in college. Freshman year, 2nd semester, I was inspired to make change in the environmental path we're on as a species and to assist in the effort of conservation. He was on the radio station where I also am a volunteer. But I thank him, his name is Gil Mendoza, and glad he made such an impact through the way he taught that class and inspired me. I also want to shot out to my high school Costa Rica program creator and guide Thomas Koulentes who also supercharged that inspiration and caused me to realize that the environmental fight is the greatest fight.

No comments: