Thursday, March 18, 2010

Mama Africaa, and my 3 days

I bet you have enough details to keep track of. Yet, I must indeed keep track of my own details, somehow, and I am going to graffiti the passive friend of mine named Blogger with my crazy jumbled words. Whateva, PUBLISH POST

TODAY:
- Cassie does radio interview for the respected station WILL
- LINC class check-in (they r doing project 4 us so we don't have 2 do bitch-work)
- program development intense session #3 w/Dave (thorough editing of program checklists)
- HAPPY HOUR @ Boltini with a visiting office exec (to chat green and future partnership?)
- 7:30 Burkina Faso dinner @ Cosmo House in campustown (w/4 good friends... should be YUMMY)

YESTERDAY, I slept late for work but it's OK... I make my own hours, within reason, so long as I make them up. 2 meetings and attended a lecture, meeting 1 with the Eat Fresh Eat Local campaign rep starting a chapter here in C-U, and meeting 2 with a girl Erika who wants to restart our old student group we founded 3 years ago. Ahh! So exciting! We gave her lots of good advice for the Greek competition she is currently undertaking... 27+ houses! WELL DONE ERIKA! I think this green thing is really taking on.
- Then, Mara adventure time: I drove out to Fithian, IL, a farm town only 15 min. east of here, for a cookout of brats, dogs, rice and beans, beer and white wine, and then I did the zipline from the top 120 year old barn. My butt is sore from the rope I sat on, but it was worth it. The other guys did some offroad motoring including with a sweet bike and a 4-wheeler. Ben is going to grow a huge garden there soon! and I think his younger sister is supercool and pretty.
- After a few hours there, I stopped at Murphy's Pub (it was St. Patty's day!) to have a drink with a friend, and as soon as I walk in my friend "Buk" was walking out, but we stood by the entrance and chatted for like half hour before I moved any deeper into the bar. He's a UI engineer-turned-townie who I occasionally meet up with for a drink, or to check out something environmental (how we met), and is gearing up for a 2 week work trip to Vegas. And I ran a 5K with his roommate Nick (33) this past weekend.
Then I ran into two other people I knew before finding the person I was supposed to meet up with: cool blonde Theresa, a bit older than me from my major (Natural Resources) with a 7 year old daughter, still in town either pursuing a PhD in wildlife or looking to venture out to study flying foxes. I guess the bird watching by airports didn't work out. Then, I saw Darwin, a big sarcastic hipster who I met longboarding this summer, god knows what we talked about but I met a cool friend of his, Jessica (I guessed that she was a Bio major and hit it) who supposedly showed up to the bar stag, which I told her I have respect for. Darwin is going outta town next week for Spring Break but said I can borrow his longboard, and I will do, because of nice weather.
Said HEY and chit-chatted to the climbing group huddled at the bar, who are climbing all of next week because they are climbing freaks, and they are cool people probably some of the coolest in the bar in my opinion, but in my head it was a bit awkward since they all know me as someone's girl, but really, I'm a lot cooler than just that. But a bunch of high-five goodbyes and genuine smiles later, I felt more assured that they do like me for me. Might even go to climbing call-out April 9 at Jackson Falls. THE END
Tomorrow, we go to Bloomington-Normal to meet with the sustainability coordinator and faculty members about creating a summer University course around our program, and about spreading the word and program to B-N in general. We must have our program documents, checklists and instructions, and best silver tongues forward for tomorrow. Life is very exciting.

No comments: