Saturday, February 27, 2010

eating ethnic

strawberry milkshake, nah-nahhh nana, I am eating so well this weekend. I made korean seafood soup + egg drops & sprouts and two types of mushroom mixture with scrambled eggs, such a good mixture. I love Yellow Fin asian grocery store... in one hour I go to Urbana for another prepared Saudi dinner with probably 10 Saudi and Egyptian students who go here and invited me to bring myself over. I am so lucky


***

Post-activity update:
After 20-30 minutes of getting lost in Urbana because there are TWO 604 Stoughtons several BLOCKS from one another (yeah, seriously?!), I entered the warm apartment haven of Saudi feasting. I took pictures and would like to upload some - the 5 main dishes in huge industrial-sized containers, chicken rice, orange vegetable stews with foreign spice, a noodle cream kugel thing, dark dark colored and salty-type flavored eggplant, I don't know the names of it, but it was all very nice. Then the beehive (!! my fave) and heaven bars for dessert, to sweeten the guests' palettes, along with homemade vanilla ice cream topped in chocolate. You guessed it - everything was delicious.
I try on a brown, handmade traditional male Saudi winter coat, I cannot recall the name but it starts with a B, and took a picture of myself in it :) It was heavy and soft! and huge on me. I felt a bit honored to be able to have worn it...
I thank Azziz and his roommate who spent all day and last night cooking for all these people (~20) to come over their Saturday nights, and my buddy Muhamed (one of many I've met this year by now) for giving Azziz my phone # when I was lost to come find me. Ha. I saw a few familiar faces upon entering, and my new friend Emeka who I am helping make flyers for his activist-training, but didn't hang out with anyone past 10 because I wanted to go out. I was sent home with a plate of my favorite desserts wrapped in tinfoil, and with that, I went home in bliss :)

...Well, I dropped by miss Cassie's place and we exchanged weekend activities etc., plans to be productive this weekend, even in a relaxing, catch-up way. Ah! My "fitness club" as they call it is actually open until 6, which gives me an extra hour of productivity today since I thought it closed at 5. The one-hour difference, Lord!!! and I CANNOT find any of the foods I ate via google description attempts! Dangit!! *Must go back and learn Arabic.
*German language learning is on hold for several months, I guess.

Peace -- Fully, Salaam, and Shalom,
Mara

No comments: