Friday, February 26, 2010

I love what I do

I do what I love.

No no! you don't understand! I really do! I run a non-profit that I helped create, co-found, and run. It is now a beautiful beast that is seemingly taking over the planet, haha. Huge opportunities and prospects. Most importantly is the solid foundation, though. I am constantly re-inventing my role and try to add meaning and credibility to the organization to move it forward because I believe in it.

I believe in greening our communities and the business community in IL. I believe in creative collaboration with students to empower them to take action and be proactive on issues they care about. I believe in creating opportunities and increasing connectivity in our complex societal and capitalist systems. I believe in energy efficiency. I believe in pioneering new ideas to pilot change. I believe in working with people across many sectors to find common ground. I believe in networking appropriately, and I believe that work can be fun. We are the movers and shakers, because we believe, and because we decided to do something about it. We speak up, but more emphasis is on the fact that we ACT up. We do. And it's gotten us so far, always ontheverge ontheverge ontheverge teetering on something monumental -- reevaluating how business works in IL, creating consumer preference for greener businesses and products, and redefining public-private partnerships, educational institutions' interactions with local communities, and new opportunities for community engagement. Oh, and we might evaluate the success of green business programs.

And it's fun to plot how to disseminate this into every interested county in Illinois by working with larger corporations (private business-driven) and public institutions (such as UI Extension and other networks in the state).

Know how Obama talks about creating green jobs? Well we created 3 of them! And I think we inspired a few others to go the entrepreneurial route. Plus, 4 of our board members have gained more respect in their jobs by working with us closely and spreading this vision. We also have a student intern, and work with MANY students (I just met with one very inspired girl this morning) who are working on meaningful projects, which will pave the way for god-knows-what. Really. Take it from me.

To be continued.... to be continued... to be continued

No comments: